- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds stew meat
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 4 whole carrots cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks, thickly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup red wine
- 16-oz. can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-0z can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat oven to 250 (F). In dutch oven (or 3 to 4 qt casserole), combine raw meat and remaining ingredients except flour; mix well. Bake covered at 250 (F) for 5 to 6 hours. During last hour, stir flour into small amount of stew juices; return to remaining stew and continue cooking. (At this point I usually add 1 small can mushroom stems & pieces, drained).
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
Oven Baked Beef Stew
This is a recipe that I've had since the late 1970s. Yup, that is a long time to have a recipe and it also says something about how good it is. Over the years I've modified it a bit to reflect my own taste. It is perfect as an Alberta Clipper sweeps across the Great Plains bringing with it sub-zero cold and snow; or, here on the West Coast when we have a storm that has come in off of the Gulf Alaska with temps in the 40s and steady rain:
Leave a Reply.
Family, friends and home are the treasures that bring me the most pleasure. Through my blog, I wish to share part of my life and heart with readers.