1/4 pound thick sliced bacon, cut into pieces
1 pound smoked sausage links cut into bite sized pieces (Kielbasa)
2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 cup small stuffed green olives
1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 (15-oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 to 3 cups red wine
1. In a five quart Dutch oven, brown the bacon. Remove with slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain and reserve.
2. Brown the sausage pieces in the hot bacon fat. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve with the bacon.
3. In a plastic bag (or large bowl) coat beef stew meat with flour, salt & pepper
4. Add beef...and onions to the hot bacon fat and cook until beef is browned and onions are translucent.
5. Add garlic, stir and sauté for no longer than two to three minutes ( do not burn the garlic)
6. Heat oven to 350 (F)
7. In the Dutch oven now combine sausages, bacon, and remaining ingredients except mushrooms and wine.
8. Once combined, add two cups red wine
9. Cover tightly and bake at 350 (F) for two hours
10. At the two hour mark, stir in the fresh mushrooms, cover tightly and return to oven for another 1 1/2 hours.
11. During the cooking time add more wine if needed.
Makes 10 servings.