Here is my recipe for the chicken & rice casserole:
Chicken & Rice Casserole
1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1 (10 3/4-oz) can cream of celery soup
1 (10 3/4-oz) can cream of chicken soup with herbs
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
4 bone-in chicken breast halves with skin*
2 tablespoons butter, melted
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 325 (F). Spray 13 x 9 (I used a 12 x 8 casserole with a top) with non-stick cooking spray
- In large bowl, combine rice, both soups, thyme, marjoram, tarragon, and chicken stock; mix well. Pour into sprayed baking dish.
- Place chicken, skin side up, over rice mixture. Brush chicken with melted butter; drizzle with any remaining butter. Salt & pepper chicken to taste and sprinkle with paprika, Cover dish with foil; or, cover casserole with cover.
- Bake at 325 (F) for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; bake and an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, its juices run clear and skin is slightly crisp.
- Makes 4 generous servings
* You can use chicken thighs for this recipe. They are a cheaper cut of chicken and the coast saving is nice. Increase the quantity to six or seven.