- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 10-oz jar maraschino cherries, drained (reserve liquid), chopped*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 - 2 tablespoons milk or reserved cherry juice (one tablespoon of each)
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture along with the buttermilk. Beat until well blended. Stir in pecans, cherries and vanilla.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 (F) for 55 - 60 minutes.
- Remove from pan, cool and glaze. Makes one loaf.
- For the glaze...combine the powdered sugar and milk or reserved cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over warm pecan bread.
- *the reserved cherry juice can be refrigerated and used for batches of Kenny Lysdahl Brandy Manhattans!
I originally found this recipe in a little Canadian cookbook called "I've Got to Have THAT Recipe Too!" This is a tried and true recipe that I've made and given away as a simple little gift:
Family, friends and home are the treasures that bring me the most pleasure. Through my blog, I wish to share part of my life and heart with readers.