Here is the recipe for a perfect start to either your Saturday morning of this weekend:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 diagonally cut slices (3/4") French Bread (let this set out for 2 - 3 hours)
- Spray or lightly grease 13 x 9 inch (3 quart) glass baking dish. In 2-quart saucepan, mix topping ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. DO NOT BOIL. Spread topping in baking dish
- In shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides and making sure all egg mixture is absorbed. Arrange bread slices over topping in dish. Cover; refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400 (F). Uncover baking dish and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and French toast is golden brown. Let stand 3 minutes or so.
- Place large heatproof serving platter upside down over baking dish; turn platter and baking dish over. Remove baking dish, scraping any extra caramel topping into French toast.
- Serve immediately.